Monday, December 10, 2012

Classroom Management Observation and Reflection


The students generally come in quiet and sit in their assigned seats.  They sit through introduction activities with little to no disturbances but often engage in talk unrelated to their art while working.  In general observations of my classroom, I have noticed that often times my field teacher tries to not give students who are doing little things they shouldn’t attention in hopes that they will stop.  Unless they are being very disruptive, she will just wait for them to stop.  If the behavior persists, she will first make eye contact with the students; they get “the look” and usually listen and cease what they are doing.  If this approach doesn’t work, she will stop her talk and point out the student by name, requesting that they stop, sometimes asking a questions like, “is that how we treat our pencils?” or “what should you be doing now?” and letting the student know they really need to behave.  I have not seen her use incentives or punishments too much, at least in a way that would prevent the student from making art.  Occasionally, a student will go to a think spot, away from the others, however, upon starting a project, they are allowed back at their seat.  There are usually not many problems while the students are creating.  When the class as a whole does get out of hand, however, my teacher will stop what she is doing and as a school wide classroom management strategy says, “students give me five”, which entails them putting one hand in the air (five fingers), putting down all supplies, not talking, and eyes on the teacher.  At this point she uses a more assertive, “teacher” voice and sometimes a more power assertive role in which art making privileges are questioned and the possibility of them being taken away is presented.
Only once two boys were playing around, hitting each other and scooting  the other’s chair, and after repeated instructions to stop the behavior and actually work, my teacher had the two boys write up think sheets basically. These involves the students writing down what they did to deserve the sheet, what they had been asked to do, and what behavior they should have had to prevent this as well as their behavior from now on.  What I found most interesting about this is even after being told numerous times that they shouldn’t be touching one another, should be working, and that there were alternatives to their actions, they still wrote down that they did not know why they were in trouble or how to fix their problem.  They seemed completely unaware of the implications of their actions and were not taking the class seriously.
One incident that stands out clearly in my mind occurred one day when I was working on glazing a bowl for my teacher and I overhead a table that was about two tables away from me throwing around the phrase “the ‘F” word” and how one of them knew what that word was, etc. but I only caught snippets of the conversation so I wasn’t sure what provoked the actual saying of the word.  I think it came about as a challenge to the student that maybe they didn't really know the word, or didn't have to guts to say it, but they said it, and my teacher definitely heard it.  She was immediately at the table (I don’t even know where she came from) and singled out the student who had said it, using a stern but quiet voice only heard by the students at the table so as to not disturb the rest of the class, and told talked to the student about words we do and don’t say and how the student knew very well that the word was one that should not be said in any context, especially at school.  She then continued to walk around the class to help students working on their projects.  But the table continued to talk about it and so she came back and sat down with the students and gave the whole group a bit of a lecture about how those type of words and basically told them they had to stop talking about the situation entirely or they would be in serious trouble.

I think, overall, by host teacher handles her classroom management well as the students for the most part are very respectful to her and the time they have in class to work.  The classroom is well organized and I think I would have handled the situations very similarly.  I think some of my classroom management would depend on the philosophy of the school district and how they approach the subject.  But I would also base it on student input, letting them create rules beyond what I believed to be essential in the first place.  I think it is important for students to have a say in the rules that will govern their behavior and in this way they will be more likely to hold themselves and others accountable for actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment